2014 Books Read – Round 3
Most of the books I’ve been reading for the past three and a half months are related to the Hollows series by Kim Harrison (see gushing blog post here). I’m not going to write descriptions for each of them because they would be spoilers and I would have to go back to each book to remind myself what was in that particular one. Just go read them already so I’ll have someone to stay up late and talk to about them.
Here are the books I read in the third quarter of 2014:
27. The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison
28. Every Which Way but Dead by Kim Harrison
29. A Fist Full of Charms by Kim Harrison
30. For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison
31. The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison
32. Blood Work – Hollows Graphic Novel- by Kim Harrison
33. Blood Crime – Hollows Graphic Novel- by Kim Harrison
34. White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison
35. Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison
36. Paris, My Sweet by Amy Thomas
I am usually not a fan of memoirs but I have been reading Amy’s blog for a few years and finally decided it was time to pick it up. I am so glad I did. This is a magical glimpse into her world when she was living in Paris. The “sparkle” of Paris really comes through her writing as well as the essence of what Paris feels to someone who is so obsessed with the city (like me). I especially loved reading about her fertility issues knowing that she is now married and expecting a little girl soon. The paperback is only $6 on Amazon right now! Buy it!
37. Paris Letters by Janice Macleod
Still on the Parisian high of reading Paris, My Sweet, I decided to give Paris Letters a go in audiobook form. I really loved this book as well. It’s about a woman who grew tired of the LA-advertising life and decided to cut her spending to save up enough money to live without working for a year. She decided to travel to quite a few places, but a particular Polish French man caught her heart and her eye and she ended up staying. This is their love story and another magical collection of words on Paris. I HIGHLY recommend this one as well.
38. How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are
STILLLL on the Parisian high of the two previous books, I downloaded this audiobook as well. This book sucks. It is awful. It’s not even another great “How to be French” book like all of the others out there who do it similarly and well, it sucks all on it’s own. I feel like it was written by people in their 30’s or 40’s who are trying to act like a slutty teenager. One of the points in the book went something like: go ahead and cheat on your significant other. it’s for the health of the relationship. and if you get caught, deny deny deny. Um, what?
39. Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
This is the most amazing graphic novel I have ever read. The words are simple and to the point and the art is completely mind-blowing. Fiona Staples conveys such emotion through the characters faces and body language- I don’t know how she does it. This is $6.02 right now. That is a steal. Buy it. Never look back.
40. Pale Demon by Kim Harrison
41. A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison