I finally did it. I made the dreamy Salmon with Leek Fondue and Saffron Mashed Potatoes from Disney World’s Be Our Guest Restaurant that I had a year and a half ago. Woah, that sentence had a lot of capitalized words.
Disney’s Salmon with Leek Fondue
Me in the Beast’s castle!
I don’t remember if it tastes the same (being a year and a half since I’ve had it) but I remember loving it at the restaurant and I loved this recreation.
I adapted it from this recipe and upped the serving size by a bajillion. Joe ended up eating it all (aside from most of my portion), so it only served two in our case.
I got pretty scared when I added the leeks, orange juice, chicken broth, and chili powder together. It smelled very gross and I was worried it was going to fail. Thankfully I stuck it out and believed in the magic of Disney, knowing it would never let me down.
P.S. Did you notice my yellow plate for Belle? 😉
Salmon with Leeks and Saffron Potatoes
Adapted from Allrecipes.
- 2 leeks white parts only
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tsp salt divided
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 1 tsp saffron slightly crushed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened original almond milk or any milk you prefer
- Salmon fillets amount depending on how many you’re planning to serve
- fresh chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Rinse leeks thoroughly to remove dirt. Halve lengthwise, slice, and pat try with paper towel.
- Combine leeks, onion, chili powder, orange juice, chicken broth, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil on high heat. Turn heat to medium and simmer until leeks are tender, around 30 minutes.
- Add salmon to baking dish. Brush lightly with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add potatoes and saffron to a pot and cover with water. Boil over high heat about 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes. Return to pan with milk and remaining 2 tbsp butter. Season with salt and pepper and mash.
- When leeks are done, remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp butter.
- To serve, add potatoes to plate and top with salmon, leek mixture, and chives. Bon Appetit!